E-scooters: helmet obligation - these rules you must observe
In the regulation for small electric vehicles, it is precisely regulated in which cases you must wear a helmet and when this is not the case. Since e-scooters are usually not allowed to go faster than 20 km/h, there is no requirement to wear a helmet. However, this is not recommended at this speed.
Does a helmet obligation apply to an e-scooter?E-scooters are now allowed to drive on public roads. However, since not all scooters also have a road permit when you buy them, you must make sure that you have a general operating permit. Alternatively, you can rent an e-scooter with road approval from one of the numerous providers.
- An e-scooter with road approval is usually throttled to 20 km/h.
- The driving of a scooter is also allowed from an age of 14 years. A driver's license is not necessary for this, however.
- Because of these provisions, there is also no helmet requirement for driving an e-scooter. This is equivalent to riding a bicycle.
- However, note that you will definitely need liability insurance when buying an e-scooter.
- Even if there is no helmet requirement in Germany for e-scooters, wearing it is highly recommended. Da Sie mit dem Scooter am Straßenverkehr teilnehmen, kann es unter Umständen zu Unfällen kommen, bei denen ein Helm Sie schützt.
- Zudem dürfen Sie nicht unter Alkoholeinfluss mit dem E-Scooter fahren. Auch hier gelten die gleichen Gesetze wie beim Fahren eines Autos.