Kindle cover: These are the specifications for the format - all info
When creating a Kindle cover, you have a lot of freedom. However, the format is not one of them, because here you have to follow certain specifications. Read all about the desired dimensions and details.To publish an eBook, Amazon provides authors with all the necessary tools. However, for this you should know the specifications, for example regarding the cover.
The right format for your Kindle coverThe following specifications regarding the cover format officially come from Amazon:
- The format should have a height-to-width ratio of 1.6:1.
- Since sharpness, i.e. pixel density, also plays a role, high-resolution cover images are desirable (at least 300 ppi are recommended). Together with the format of 1.6:1, this results in an ideal dimension of 2,560 x 1,600 pixels.
- However, this is not mandatory: the minimum dimensions are 1,000 x 625 pixels, the maximum allowed are 10,000 x 10,000 pixels.
- When uploading, the image file must not be larger than 50 MB. In a pinch, compression helps, as explained in more detail here, for example.
- Apropos file: The allowed file formats for uploading are JPG and TIF.