Sophos researchers have uncovered 23 very dangerous apps that steal money from users. Here's what they are
They're back, but no one missed them. What are we talking about? We're talking about "fleeceware" apps, a particular type of application that can steal more than €200 from users with a single click. Sophos researchers have uncovered 23 apps that trick users into signing up for hefty monthly subscriptions without their knowledge.
What are "fleeceware" apps
They do not install any kind of virus, any malware, any spyware able to spy on the user: in the eyes of any antivirus, fleeceware apps are absolutely legitimate. But that doesn't mean they're not dangerous. The term "fleeceware", created by Sophos researchers to categorize this type of app, makes this clear.
The verb "to fleece" means "to strip", "to shear" or even "to skin". And that's exactly what fleeceware apps do: they "fleece" users out of their money to activate very expensive monthly subscriptions. And they do it without the knowledge of the person, who gets charged directly to his bank account.
Fleeceware apps have evolved
In the first case, when a person opens one of these apps, they find a button on the home screen that says "Try for free." After pressing the button, the billing terms appear, but they don't make it very clear that after the free trial period, a paid subscription starts.
The second method, however, is even more devious. All you have to do is download an app, sign up for the service that appears to be free, and you'll see a bulk subscription activated to a number of related services that you don't even know exist. In questo modo i truffatori riescono a massimizzare il guadagno, anche se solo per un mese.
Quali sono le 23 app da cancellare subito dallo smartphone Android
Sophos ha pubblicato anche la lista delle 23 app fleeceware presenti sul Google Play Store e che non sono ancora state eliminate. Oltre al nome delle applicazioni, Sophos ha anche pubblicato il prezzo dell’abbonamento mensile o settimanale e il guadagno ricavato dalle app con questo stratagemma. Ecco la lista completa:
- com.photoconverter.fileconverter.jpegconverter – $249.99/€224.99/anno – $8k
- com.recoverydeleted.recoveryphoto.photobackup – $249.99/€224.99/anno- $60k
- com.screenrecorder.gamerecorder.screenrecording – $249.99/€224.99/anno- $10k
- com.photogridmixer.instagrid – $229.99/€219.99/anno – $5k
- com.compressvideo.videoextractor -$229.99/€219.99/anno – $10k
- com.smartsearch.imagessearch – $229.99/€219.99/anno – $30k
- com.emmcs.wallpapper – $89.99/settimana – $20k
- com.wallpaper.work.application – $89.99/settimana – $30k
- com.gametris.wallpaper.application – $89.99/settimana – $30k
- com.tell.shortvideo – $89.99/settimana -$10k
- com.csxykk.fontmoji – $89.99/settimana – $40k
- com.video.magician – $89.99/settimana – $30k
- com.el2020xstar.xstar – $89.99/settimana – $10k
- com.dev.palmistryastrology – $69.99/settimana – $5k
- com.dev.furturescope – $69.99/settimana – $90k
- com.fortunemirror – $69.99/settimana – $20k
- com.itools.prankcallfreelite – $44.99/anno – $5k
- com.isocial.fakechat – $45.99/anno – $5k
- com.old.me – $94.99/anno – $5k
- com.myreplica.celebritylikeme.pr – $12.99/€10.99/settimana – $5k
- com.nineteen.pokeradar – Pay per install
- com.pokemongo.ivgocalculator – Buggy app
- com.hy.gscanner – $79.99/anno – $5k
Come proteggersi dalla app fleeceware
Non esiste nessun tool o applicazione che vi può proteggere da questo tipo di truffa. L’unica cosa è segnalare al Google Play Store e all’App Store la presenza di questa tipologia di app quando se ne incontra una in modo che venga immediatamente cancellata.