Android 11: Background data - limit data usage
To allow apps to download data, send notifications or sync even in the background, background data must be enabled on your smartphone. Android 11 offers the option to restrict background data usage.
How to restrict background data with data saver modeIf you want to minimize general data usage on your smartphone, this works with the help of data saver mode. If the mode is active, apps can no longer send or receive data in the background. This is particularly practical if you use a mobile phone tariff with limited data volume.
- Open the settings of your smartphone.
- Switch to the category "Network & Internet".
- Tap on the menu item "Data Saving Mode".
- Activate the slider at "Use Data Saving Mode" to turn on the saving mode.
How to adjust background data usage for individual appsAndroid 11 also offers the option to specifically turn background data usage of apps on and off.
- Open the settings again and tap "Apps and notifications" in the overview.
- Select the app in the list where you want to adjust the background data usage.
- Tap in the app info on the menu item "Mobile data & WLAN".
- Activate or deactivate the slider here at the option "Background data".