Mac: Recycle Bin restore - how to save your data
If you have accidentally deleted an important file, it is not immediately lost. Often you have the option to recover the data you thought was lost. This works either manually or, if you have already emptied the Recycle Bin, with the help of a special recovery tool.
Recover deleted data manuallyBefore a deleted file disappears from your Mac for good, it first resides in the Recycle Bin.Follow these steps to recover files from the Recycle Bin:
- Click the Recycle Bin icon on your desktop.
- In the Recycle Bin folder, you will now find all the temporarily deleted files.
- Select the file you want to recover and right-click on it. Now select the "Put back" option in the context menu. The file will then be restored to the location where it was deleted.
- You also have the option to drag & drop the files from the trash folder to the desired directory.
Recover completely deleted filesIf you have already emptied the trash, you can recover the files deleted in this way only with the help of a recovery software. For example, the DiskDrill tool is able to recover data that has already been completely deleted. However, the price for the special software is relatively high at 79 euros.
- Install DiskDrill on your Mac and start the program.
- Select the hard drive in the overview, on which the data was located, and click "Recover".
- You get an overview of the recoverable files. Klicken Sie die entsprechenden Daten mit der rechten Maustaste an und wählen Sie im Kontextmenü „Retten“ aus.